Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Graphic Novel Review: The Hunting Accident

I usually review one book per month for Shelf Awareness, but last month, I had a chance to read and review two because my editor offered a group of graphic novels as extras. I generally enjoy graphic novels, so I chose a few and was assigned The Hunting Accident: A True Story of Crime and Poetry by David L. Carlson and Landis Blair (illustrator).

I was intrigued by the description but wasn't sure I would like it. I needn't have worried. This powerful real-life story told in a unique way completely blew me away. It's the story of Matt Rizzo, a one-time criminal in Chicago who went to prison when he was young, after being blinded during the crime that put him there. Depressed and with nothing to live for, Matt came close to ending his life but was saved by an unlikely source: a renowned murderer also in prison with him. Matt later become a poet and writer, and his story is told from the perspective of his young son, who knows nothing of his past. It's a fascinating story, but the combination of illustrations, literary references (especially Dante's Inferno), poetry, and excerpts from real-life documents elevates it to outstanding.

You can read my full review at Shelf Awareness.

But, take my word for it...even if you're not sure the subject matter is for you, give this book a try! You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment