Thursday, September 14, 2017

2017 Big Book Summer Wrap-Up

Since I've been posting about it since May, you probably know that I once again hosted my Big Book Summer Challenge this summer! Basically, it's just about reading some of the bigger books (400+ pages) that may have been on your want-to-read shelf or list forever (or new big books you want to read!). You can read all about the challenge and the simple rules on the challenge page.

It was another wonderful Big Book Summer, with 22 people joining the challenge this year, either linking up on the challenge page or through the Goodreads group for those who don't have blogs. I enjoyed reading all your reviews of Big Books, and we had some great discussions in the Goodreads group! You can check out reviews and wrap-up posts on the challenge page.

For my own Big Book Summer Challenge, I had hoped to read 6 Big Books. I did read 6 in all, though they were not all the ones I planned to read! That's just the way it goes some years. I decided to finish a series, add a classic, and luckily, one of my review books for Shelf Awareness turned out to be a Big Book, too.

Here's what I read for the 2017 Big Book Summer Challenge:

  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - YA (409 pages)
  • Shift (Silo Trilogy, Book 2) by Hugh Howey (570 pages)
  • Dust (Silo Trilogy, Book 3) by Hugh Howey (480 pages)
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (507 pages)
  • Overpowered by Mark H. Kruger - YA (423 pages)
  • The Hunting Accident: A True Story of Crime and Poetry by David L. Carlson & Landis Blair (graphic novel - 464 pages)
Links are to my reviews here on the blog (Shelf Awareness has not yet published my review of The Hunting Accident, but I will link to it here when it is posted - it was excellent!).

I will announce the winner of the Big Book Summer Giveaway in a separate post - I want to check with the winner first.

Congratulations to everyone who participated! I hope that YOU will join the fun next year!

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Sue! Six big books is awesome!! I actually have the Wool Omnibus on audio to listen to...maybe for your next Big Book Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely give it a try, Darlene! Once you start the series, you can't stop!

      Hope you will join the fun again next summer!

      Delete
  2. 6 big books is definitely an accomplishment for a summer! I seriously think I need to find a thin YA that is happy to get me out of my month-long slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes to just need to find the right book for your mood. I read for an hour every night before bed with my husband - it's just part of our routine, so I always have a book going (and often one on audio too). Hey, maybe audio could help you out of your slump!

      Delete
  3. Six big books is a big deal! I didn't fare so well although I am in the middle of two very big books that I hope to finish by end of Sept. Travel and other issues kept me on smaller books this year. Thanks for hosting and reminding us that great stories come in thumping long books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for sticking with those longer books even after the challenge is over!

      Hope you will join the fun again next summer!

      Delete